Saturday, May 22, 2010

Movie Review: Iron Man 2

The review format is in an easy to read what-I-liked-what-I-hated format. I then give a rating out of five based on how it wasted my time or increased my interest on something.

Today we have Iron Man 2 up for review.


























Plot: Tony Stark is under fire because his suit is considered a weapon. The government wants to take it. Some villain wants to get revenge. He saves the world (Well OK so maybe just a city). The avengers recruitment is in between all of this. That's basically all you need to know about it.

Just a brief background. *Breathes In* I watched this at SM Manila for 160. Maybe a reason why I'm even more disappointed with the film. A hundred freakin' sixty pesos for a terrible cinema. I mean it looks more like a theater than a cinema. It isn't even that dark (No, not for couples). Having a dark cinema is essential for focusing on the film. Greenbelt cinema charges 170. Glorietta 4 charges 130-150. I'd have rather watched it there than the crap that is SM Manila's cinema. Did I mention someone was snoring the whole time I was watching? *Breathes out*

What I liked:
Laser-thingy Whips are Badass: Whiplash is a decent villain with a very awesome weapon. Whips have been used a zillion times already but making it sparkly, lethal-as-hell and giving it a tad of "scientific" explanation just makes it badass.

Oh, I want that too: There was a lot of moments, I wish I had the same technology in my room. The suitcase armor is definitely an awesome thing to have at home or on the go. The Artificial Intelligence running Tony Stark's lab is something I want to upgrade to after Windows Vista.

Robert Downey, Jr: The whole film may not be excellent but Robert Downey Jr still acts excellently. I think he portrays the humanity of an Iron Man/Tony Stark quite well.

Humor: There's still a nice amount of humor in the film. It was presented well too.


What I hated:
Whiplash is not awesome: His character was built to be a super villain. He's smart and can obviously create badass weapons. He's out for revenge. Later in the film, he gets all the resources he needs to battle Tony Stark. Even with all this, I never felt a strong character in him. I never felt that in anytime in the film that he was an awesome villain. Maybe I never saw the potential that he could actually defeat Iron Man and you just need that to add a bit more suspense in the film. Being the only real opposing character to Iron Man, it's just a big let down.

Iron Man was never gonna lose: At anytime during the film, I never felt that Iron Man even had the hint of losing. The idea of seeing your lead character about to lose adds a great level of suspense to the film. Too bad, Iron Man 2 didn't have it.

Too Short: What was the time for the movie? An hour and forty five? I forgot. It seemed really short though. Maybe it was good since it wasn't a great movie.

Was that it?: Besides being too short, the story doesn't seem to be that interesting. It was over before any of the plot/sub-plots got interesting.

What was the plot again?: We have the US government trying to get Tony Stark to surrender the suit; Tony Stark about to die; Tony Stark and the Avengers and the Whiplash revenge plot. But where was the really interesting or most developed one? I don't think there was one.

We want more explosions: While I think the movie is trying to tell a bunch of different stories, there was not too much action scenes all in all. There wasn't even one that really stood out. There wasn't an oh-shit-awesome-explosion moment at all. The only interesting action scene was when the F1 was sliced into two. And that lasted for what? 3 secs.

There was no Climax: Climax is defined to be a point of great interest. I didn't find it. The last battle where Iron Man and War Machine was against Whiplash wasn't epic. It was like okay. That's it? It needed to be longer and more exciting. It needed to be awesome but it wasn't.


Conclusion:
It's definitely worth a watch to see Robert Downey Jr's interesting character portrayal in Iron Man. It's cool to watch all the fancy gizmo and some action scenes but don't expect a comic book movie as great as The Dark Knight. There isn't quite as much as powerful conflict or story in this one.

Rating:
Overall, I give it, 2.5 dancing iron-man uniformed cheerleaders out of 5.

Note 1: After reading a bunch of reviews online, one common thing I found was that they agreed to the fact that there was a lot of action. Maybe there was a lot. Maybe I would have reviewed the film better if I was in a better cinema and with a better audience (I felt the guy's snoring was part of the soundtrack already). Maybe I should have watched it in 3D.

Note 2: Are physicists really great programmers too?

No comments:

Post a Comment